A full day CPD workshop for therapists to explore suicide and the skills needed to assist those at risk of suicide or those in suicide crisis – Facilitated by Louise Bloomfield – Dramatherapist
The World Health Organisation state that more people die from suicide than from all the world’s conflicts, wars and natural disasters combined: every 40 seconds a person somewhere in the world dies by suicide. Suicide is the leading cause of young deaths in the UK, and is the single biggest killer of men aged under 45 in the UK
We are more likely to come across someone who is having thoughts of suicide than we are to meet someone having a heart attack, yet we are rarely taught essential life-saving suicide first aid skills. Most of us have a story of suicide, whether it be our own lived experiences and bereavements, or suicide stories from the therapy room. Suicide is ever present in our practice as therapists. Given the rates of suicide behaviour, we are likely to meet clients who are thinking about suicide, those who are planning their suicide, and those who have attempted suicide. We are likely to experience the death of a client by suicide. And we are likely to encounter those who have been bereaved by suicide.
This workshop aims to:
- Provide participants with an awareness of the prevalence of suicide
- Challenge myths and misconceptions about suicide and suicide intervention
- Explore the power of language when talking about suicide
- Provide a unique space and opportunity to examine our personal stories of suicide and our responses
- Consider the concept of risk assessment and management, and its place in suicide intervention in the therapy room
- Consider and apply Yalom’s ideas of the ‘here-and-now’ in the context of suicide crisis in the therapy room
- Provide further resources including a reading list and directory of support services, and recommendations for further training on suicide intervention
Date: Saturday 30 June 10 – 4:30pm
Venue: The Mill, Lodge Lane, Derby
Contact: Keren Adler for booking and further information [email protected]/ mobile: 07807 753574 Payment secures booking – full refunds are only available for cancellations made more than 10 days before the event. Please advise of any support needs you may have.